2016 MLN Geriatric Workshop Highlights
The 2016 MLN Geriatric Workshop was on May 19, 2016 and was a great success. Approximately 50 nurse educators from all over Michigan earned 8 CEs while enjoying the expertise of a diverse cohort of presenters.
- Anita Botruff, MSN, RN, ASLNC kicked off the day with a discussion on the management of chronic conditions using a concept based approach.
- Mary Conklin, JD, RN provided important insights into the various aspects of elder care law including specifics healthcare workers and families with aging seniors need to know about wills, trusts, patient advocacy, durable power of attorney for finances, and much more.
- Co-presenters, Paul Hernandez, PhD and Sherri Fannon, MSN, RN, both shared their personal experience with the “Real Talk” teaching approach. Mr. Hernandez, the originator of “Real Talk” captivated the audience with his life story and how his life experiences helped him develop the “Pedagogy of Real Talk”, a teaching method that assists teachers to connect with all students, especially those at risk. Sherri Fannon then discussed her experience with Real Talk and how it has helped her students fare better in nursing school (Lansing Community College Career Ladder Nursing Program). She continues to collect data that supports the correlation between the use of Real Talk and positive student outcomes.
- Jeanette Godfrey, PhD, RN, a psychologist who works with elders in several assisted living and extended care facilities throughout southeastern Michigan, gave a thorough presentation of the challenges of caring for patients with dementia in long term care settings.
- Katie Kessler, MSN, RN, not only organized this year’s program but also presented a great review of pharmacological and non-pharmacological pain management in the elderly population. She reminded us that pain is real even in the non-verbal patient. She provided many helpful strategies for pain assessment as well as several non-pharmacological pain control techniques.
- The day ended with Larissa Miller’s (MSN, RN, CS, CNE) extraordinary interactive session that not only discussed but demonstrated teaching and learning strategies using new computer presentation platforms (Microsoft Sway and Prezi); classroom based Facebook pages, YouTube videos, infographics, beach ball questions, playing cards, and poker chips! She used all these techniques to teach the participants about grounded cognition, Mezirow’s transformational learning theory, spacing, generation effect, mental modeling and building neural pathways. She taught us about these teaching strategies using the same strategies she was teaching to us to use with our students…what??? And it worked!! It was the perfect session to end a day that started with a new concept based approach to managing chronic conditions and continued with new insights in elder care law, “Real Talk”, dementia, and pain management.
- Geriatric Workshop Content Links
Click on the presentation titles below to view the content of the 2016 Geriatric Workshop held May 19, 2016
- Care of the Elderly with Chronic Medical Conditions
- Mental Health Care for Elders with Dementia
- Legal Issues in Elder Care
- Pain in Older Adults
- Teaching and Learning Strategies